Friday, September 12, 2008

Taking Herb Breaks... stop worrying!

I admit to a little fear. Vida was due for an herb break, having been on her anti-tumor blood cleanser for about a month (seems I recorded the date on the blog but not in my date book, bad nurse!), and according to the company she should be getting routine breaks as with any herbal tonic.

I was worried already, and skeptical that the person answering the phone at the company had nothing to say about this mixture specifically. On the other hand I know that this is correct. They recommended a few days every two weeks, or in my case, a one week break after the month of constant use.

I couldn't help myself. I believe the herbs are doing good, and I didn't want to allow an opening for tumor growth. Paranoid or what! Not a good state of mind to be in, for me or Vida.

I wanted to have something else to give her as a stop-gap, but something different. At the store we had something I had ordered for this purpose, a mushroom extract called NK-9 that had been sitting on the shelf in obscurity. They happened to send along some articles about medical studies done on it and it looked really good, so I brought that home as her interim product, though I do plan on continuing it too.

I'm usually a whole plant proponent rather than using an extraction of only part of the chemistry of the plant. However, this particular extraction, AHCC (Active Hexose Correlated Compound), has had a lot of studies done on it, so I figured I'd give it a try (especially since I was the one who had ordered it for the store way back when). Hopefully I'll learn a little more, or get some additional guidance from the holistic vet we're seeing in a couple of weeks.

Vida was skeptical of eating it with her food this morning. I emptied the capsule and mixed it in (raw egg with fish and veg from Western Supreme, plus supps), and I could smell it, but it didn't smell bad. She sniffed it and gave me a look, but eventually ate it all. I told her it was important for her to eat it. Hopefully she keeps complying.

No comments: