Sunday, October 07, 2012

Is your dog losing its balance when the season shifts?

Vida getting some red/infrared light therapy on her back.
If your dog's been a little "off" the last week or two it might be due to the shifting season. I've noticed that some dogs have their health get inexplicably wobbly during the transitions between seasons. They may be less resilient or flexible than normal, not adapting to the change easily. 



Vida, for example was feeling awesome until she played too hard at the dog park. She took a couple of tumbles before she got her "duck and roll" technique working for her, and she was feelin' it the next day. It was clear she'd put her spine out in a few place, and maybe a shoulder - nothing she couldn't work around with a somewhat subdued demeanor (don't worry, there was no whimpering or limping), but despite my doing what I could for the next several days (acupressure, light therapy, herbs) it was clear we need to move-up her regular chiropractic appointment.

But there was more. She gets regular chiropractic work done but this time there were additional signs of her overall energetic balance being out of whack. 

The two things that really stood out were that her coat became very dull and she suddenly had a ton of fleas. I went from at most one flea a week to a dozen in a single day! Her coat would keep the tracks of the rubber grooming tool for hours after I'd rubber her with it. 

While these may seem to some as being totally unrelated, I believe they altogether indicate a body out of balance with its environment. The timing coincides with the shift from Late Summer to Autumn; not a weather change, but an energetic change. 

What this tells me is that even though she looks the picture of health to most who see her, I need to continue to keep an eye out for subtle changes that may indicate a deeper imbalance, and continue to offer food and care that goes beyond the basics.

What do you notice about your dog?

I believe that these seasonal wobbles are a major indicator of imbalance that shouldn't be ignored. 

Try your best, don't ignore the signs (the only time in the past few years she's had such a flea infestation was for two weeks after a surgery), and explore care options that include practitioners like myself who will work with you, teach you, and help you help your dog.

I'll be keeping her regular appointment in addition to this one as I suspect that she won't hold her adjustment this time. I'll also remind myself to schedule her more frequently in Winter; I've noticed that she's had a harder time holding her adjustments during that season the last two years.  

I've gained a better understanding of her basic constitution over the years, and she is certainly a Fire dog. She was the picture of health this Summer and Late Summer, better than she'd looked in years. The goal for the rest of the year is to keep her as balanced as possible, and recognize the patterns. 

No comments: