Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Warming Alternative to Cooking

I was warned by Vida's holistic vet that if she got more lipomas I'd be advised to go from raw to cooked food for her. This is to relieve the dampness that is behind their appearance.

Well, if you've been reading my blog you can imagine my resistance. It's not that cooked food is bad, I just don't see her as needing that much diet adaptation.

Well, I have a theory that kinda splits the difference. I think that freeze-dried and dehydrated diets warm the food up without going quite as far as full cooking.

So I've been playing around with it, being wintertime (and very wet and relatively chilly here) it's a good time to warm things up a bit. I'm a big fan of mixing and matching food anyway, so I've been mixing regular raw with Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried raw (the Duck Duck Goose flavor), or mixing the freeze-dried with Honest Kitchen. (the warm/hot water to rehydrate it literally warms it too). She eats it up quick, no matter which permutation.

I'm very lucky to have easy access to all these goodies, of course. But really, it's all cheaper than the mainstream advice I was given (further surgery, radiation, etc). And it's way more fun for both of us!

Oh yeah, and I just joined Twitter... tryin' it out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings..I saw your post on Lipoma, and wondered how you are making out with Vida? My girl has a large chest lipoma, I had it aspirated and it was all fatty. But it is HUGE. Baseball size and I am trying naturalized therapies instead of the surgery which my vet wants to do. I also give redclover tincture, and feed both my girls the raw diet.
Suzanna