Sunday, October 26, 2008

Everyday Herbs

These days I'm finding that herbs are becoming more and more a part of our daily life. Whether it's drinking tea, taking tinctures, or eating fresh and dried herbs, Vida and I are both benefiting from it. It feels like a more thoughtful way of taking care that is EASY!

This morning Vida had her usual cadre of herbs added to her food, while I squeezed some "Avena's Elixer" (an adaptogenic tincture) into my juice and took a couple of spoonfuls of a tasty "Rejuvenation Tonic" (who wouldn't, with a name like that!). I'm drinking herb teas more often (I love the ones I got from Jean's Greens, they're medicinal and they taste good!).

I admit to having a weakness for tasty prepared blends - so easy!

There are some great herbs that can be helpful to keep the system running more smoothly if we'd just take them on a regular basis. With our dogs we often forget that "vegetables" can and should include more than what is found in the typical American dinner salad.

We've got cultural amnesia when it comes to food, whether for our pet or ourselves. Most of us don't explore historical recipes that include foods that we now see only as "herbs". Heck, just think about dandelion greens - a green food that's great for our liver. I know, they can seem a little bitter, but I, for one, have realized that not only has my cooking repertoire atrophied, so has my palate.

My soup for tomorrow? Wild mushrooms and barley, with tempeh, kelp threads, and a little burdock root, plus of course carrots, garlic, and whatever spices seem to be a good taste fit. Maybe Vida will get a serving too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please share that soup recipe Margarat -- sounds yummy!

Keep meaning to thank you for your wonderful blog -- there is a wealth of information that is meaningful for our dogs and our own bodies -- THANKS!

Margarat Nee said...

Ooh - I just made it up!

I used a crock pot and soaked a small package of dry wild mushrooms, a few dry shitake, and about a cup or so of barley overnight.

In the morning I added a chopped up package of tempeh, about 3/4 cup of kelp threads (sorry, forget the proper name for this type), a fresh portobello mushroom, a clove of garlic, one burdock root minced, and a couple of chopped carrots. I let that cook on low for the day while I was at work. When I got home I added some olive oil, salt and pepper, a few streams of braggs, some balsamic vinegar, and some cumin. I don't have measurements as I just did it to taste.

It was yummy! And I felt like I was eating a truly nourishing meal. The only disappointment was the tempeh - the soup would've been just fine without it.

Unfortunately for Vida we humans ate it all!

Thanks so much for your feedback on the blog, I really appreciate hearing back.