Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Getting Creative

If you've read this blog for awhile you know I do a lot my own herb concoctions for Vida, but often they've been for specific acute situations. Well now I'm playing around with her daily herbs.


I've been thinking about how useful some herbs are on a daily (or almost daily) basis, but how I'd like to reserve the right for a little customization. I want her to get herbal foods in her daily diet that help strengthen her immune system and ensure healthy organ function. I do this because the basic food I feed her as basic vegetables in it, but not the power-veg that I want her to get. 


So I've been playing with powders.



Dog powders in an easy-to-grab box
(they're stored in my "herb pantry")
Powdered herbs are by far the easiest to integrate into a dog's diet daily because they're so easy to dispense. You want your powders to be pretty fresh, though, never more than a year old, and stored in a dark container to maintain it's potency.


Here's what I've been doing so far, she gets one teaspoon a day:


Starting March 26:
Equal parts: Astragalus, Ashwaghanda, Burdock, Cat's Claw, Dandelion Root, Chaga, Noni, Hawthorn Berry, Kelp, and a half-part Spirulina.


Starting April 30:
Equal Parts: Ashwaghanda, Cat's Claw, Dandelion Root, Noni, Hawthorn Berry, Kelp, Rosehips; half-parts Astragalus, Spirulina (the second batch of this had a full part of Spirulina).


I'm almost out, and will adjust it again. I think it's time to take a couple of things out, and then I'll be thinking about what to bring with me to New Hampshire - a much simpler one I'm sure, just a few ingredients.


It's so easy when you have ten herbs in small enough amounts that you'll be able to use them up in 8 months or so. You can recombine them every month or so. 


Shop at Mountain Rose Herbs - use the link on the sidebar of this blog and I'll benefit from the sale, a nice little tip for me and Vida if you enjoyed this post.

1 comment:

Margarat Nee said...

May 18:
Cat's Claw, Hawthorn Berry, Marshmallow Root, Spirulina, Rosehip, Kelp.