Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Making Mushroom Tea

Soooo easy!

If you want to make amazing immune system medicine for yourself and your dog, you can do this. The traditional method of making medicine from mushrooms is to cook them. Yep, that simple. Simmersimmersimmer for the day, strain and oila!


I got my giant bags of mushrooms from
Mountain Rose Herbs.
Each of these is
one pound of mushrooms.














I got (sliced, & of course organic) Reishi



















and (organic) Maitaki (also called Hen of the Woods).













I just put a handful of each in an enamel pot....















Added two quarts of water, put the cover on and put it on the back burner (literally) for the day (started at about 8am 'til about 5pm) to cook. It smells pretty good actually - much better than it tastes.















I strained it with a colander & ladled it into ice cube trays (5!).














Between the two of us it's an ice cube a day. Just a tonic, right, not trying to megadose, no no no. Be sensible and you can use this longterm. Luckily my dog doesn't mind the "earthy" taste. I just add it to my orange juice. Go ahead, try it!



















3 comments:

Margarat Nee said...

I made my second batch stronger. I used lots of Reishi, Maitaki, a lesser amount of Shitaki, and some Chaga. I definitely used a larger proportion of mushrooms to water this time. I figure I might as well make it count.

Vida and I are both taking it twice a day, so 2-3 Tablespoons a day.

I think it has helped with my allergies, but only when I'm consistent with it.

Unknown said...

Interesting, Margarat! (I came over from Herb Mentor) Thanks for sharing this info. Oh, and my 'girl' (a one year old lab) goes by 'Veda' too!

Unknown said...

(lol) Actually, I mispelled. Vida.