Friday, April 27, 2018

What To Expect from a Dog Healing Session

Art by an old family friend in a corner of
my vibrational sound therapy room.

By this time I thought I might be writing about a new dog in my life, but since that hasn't happened yet I thought I'd take an opportunity to write about the professional services I offer through The Art of Dog. This is an introductory summary to help new clients understand what to expect when I first meet their dog. When modalities are unfamiliar it's helpful to at least understand how this new relationship with a practitioner will look. I send this to new clients in advance of our first session. If this sounds like something you'd like to experience please get in touch with me.


It’s best for sessions to take place in a quiet setting, without the distractions of television, cooking, phone calls, or other hectic activities.  This helps me, you, and your dog focus on healing.
Lots of questions. Some of my questions may be unexpected; as a holistic practitioner I look at everything that may impact your dog's wellbeing. You may think that something is unrelated to the issue you are focused on but everything about your dog's life has an influence on your dog's health and happiness.
Keep an open mind. I employ a variety of modalities, and I may suggest one that you’re not expecting or are not familiar with. My holistic observations of your dog will lead me to suggest one or more of these approaches: natural nutrition, herbs, energetic essences, essential oils, acupressure, crystals, reiki, & sound. I welcome your questions about each of these and have seen many owners gain an appreciation for something they experience for the first time during our sessions.
It's important for your dog to feel safe to benefit from healing practices. Please tell me ahead of time if you expect your dog to be uncomfortable or has known issues with body handling. Let's both work on not hurrying through early sessions, especially the first one where this stranger (me) comes in and starts acting a little bit like a vet (according to your dog).  
I often use some of my hands-off modalities such as allowing dogs to choose essential oils that can help them feel safer. Some initial sessions have no hands-on work, I focus instead on being a non-threatening presence for your dog while I observe them and get information from you. We can then discuss what else will help your dog feel safer the next time we meet (such as a custom energetic essence, herbs, gentle energy work you can do yourself, and referrals to force-free trainers). I always show the dogs any tools I might use and allow them to show me how much time they need or when they need a short break. It’s important to recognize the value in a less intrusive first session for dogs who initially expect something bad to happen, and to allow the to lead the process.
Relationship Advice? As your dog's advocate I want to help you have the healthiest and most healing relationship possible with them. Please don't be put off if I make suggestions about interacting differently with your dog during our sessions; my advocacy for your dog's wellbeing is at the core of what I do, and education is part of that. We've learned so much about dog behavior in recent years, such as the behaviors that signal stress, that we can now minimize those problems and offer more compassionate and dog-oriented care and guardianship. I love dogs for the amazing beings they are; I hope to help you learn more about dogs so that your mutual regard for each other will grow and benefit both of you.
Allow some time for your dog to integrate energetic bodywork. Dogs will often stretch when we are finished and may want to relax or even nap afterward to integrate the changes. Sessions will be more effective if not directly followed by a meal or vigorous activities. Even just an hour of quiet time afterward will help, and most dogs will want to nap. The energy of the body cycles in 24 hours so plan to allow for some changes during that time; this can include unexpected events like mild digestive changes in dogs for whom "unsticking" things was the focus of the session.
Healing is not linear. While sometimes my initial visits can bring about dramatic changes, these can be short lived when we are looking at chronic imbalances in the body and in behavior. Anybody that has been "out of whack" for a while can take some time getting back in to balance, and this does not always happen in a straight line. I'll always be honest about what I think will benefit your dog the most: the importance of follow-up sessions, referring you to others, etc. Time to restore is essential.
The frequency of sessions is highly variable. Some dogs are rarely in need due to good health and happiness, while others who are experiencing stresses to their health or emotional state may need them weekly during acute situations, or every four to six weeks for chronic imbalances to resolve.

No comments: