Friday, December 05, 2008

What's in "Max's Formula" anyway?

Since I've been using this blog to track my care of Vida, I thought I'd just write down the herbs used in Max's Formula before I throw the empty bottle away:

  • Angelica (Bai Zhi)
  • Rhubarb (Da Huang)
  • Platycodon (Jie Geng)
  • Astrea (Mu Li)
  • Trichosanthes (Tian Hua Fen)
  • Prunella (ZIa Ku Cao)
  • Scrophularia (Zuan Shen)
  • Fritillary (She Bei Mu)

Of course this doesn't give the proportions, which is an important part of formulating blends, so I'd advise sticking with a pre-made product unless you are an herbalist who knows these plants. This formula is available through vets only. I considered linking each herb listed, but that would limit the information to one source. One should always consult multiple sources when learning in order to get a balanced view of the plant and its uses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's it used for? The vet sent me home with about 6 things and this one scapes me why I have it.

Margarat Nee said...

This formula is for clearing Phlegm (this is a TCM term). If you're not sure what your vet's intention is you should definitely call them to clarify it for yourself. You can do an internet search for general information, but you should talk to your vet about specifics for your dog.

You should always know why you're giving prescriptions/supplements to your dog, don't be embarrassed to ask the vet to explain it again, or write it down for you. They should ensure that you understand it - it's a two-way responsibility.

In a previous post "Vida's 1st TCM Vet Visit" I mention it.

For my dog the need for this formula related to her cancer diagnosis, the nature of her pulse (slippery), and a few other subtle clues. Since starting it her pulse cleared, but she did develop a lipoma, which is another clue to Phlegm stagnation.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.